Friday, September 08, 2006

Final Thoughts...

These past 7 weeks have been remarkably enlightening in so many ways, filled with memories and opportunities to learn about the world. Though it is always hard to come back after weeks of traveling, I am quite happy to be coming back to Sacramento to begin a major new phase of my life.

Perhaps I am an eternal optimist, but I really do think there is a lot of potential to improve the transportation scene in Sacramento. My summer trip in Europe has left me feeling extremely motivated, inspired and impassioned to at least try my best to create incremental changes in the region. It has also given me a chance to live a different lifestyle where being car-free, taking transit, biking and walking everywhere has become part of my daily routine.

It was great to get back on my own bike this morning and head down to the grocery store. And since there wasn’t any bicycle parking I took the liberty of just walking my bike up and down the isles putting everything from hair gel to odwalla bars in the pannier bags on my bike rack. I figure a bike is not any bigger than a shopping cart and it is good for other people to see that you can do everyday things like shopping on your bike too. I kind of thought someone would ask me to leave it outside, but the only comments I got from the Bel Air staff were “Do you need any help finding anything?,” “Nice bike,” and “I like your shirt" (the second grocery store clerk in the past 24 hours to compliment my European attire).

One of my favorite quotes (I have a lot of those) from Laurel Thatcher Ulrich seemed to play out well today: “Well behaved women rarely make history.” Risk-taking certainly does not turn out well every time, but if you keep it up you statistically have to succeed at some point!

2 Comments:

At 4:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the fun reading on your European summer, Lauren. I've learned so much about the alternative and very practical means of transportation in all the countries you visited. An inspiring adventure for all of us!

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm truly enjoying the design and layout of your site. It's a very easy on the eyes which makes it much more enjoyable for me to come here and visit more often. Did you hire out a developer to create your theme? Outstanding work!

________________________________
Moving Companies In California

 

Post a Comment

<< Home