Sunday, July 23, 2006

On SWISS smart growth...














~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I find it very amusing that Americans consider the idea of having housing on top of retail a ‘new’ form of development. That’s all they have here! It’s quite funny seeing century-old buildings containing Starbucks and McDonald’s – with apartments on top nonetheless.

Last night I stayed in a 5-story loft apartment in the heart of Zurich (Lynne's daughter lives there)...while similar in idea to the 800 J Lofts that I'll be moving into when I return to Sacramento, it was built in the 1300's! You can see it in the picture here -- it's the building just to the left of the (really loud!) church bell towers, right on the Lake of Zurich (with great walking paths!). I was staying in the corner loft on the left-hand-side of the building. Absolutely incredible place!

1 Comments:

At 8:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lauren, Europe figured out many of out "new" ideas hundreds, maybe thousands of years ago. $3+ gas really starts to make you innovative does it not. LG

 

Post a Comment

<< Home