Sunday, July 23, 2006

On SWISS air quality...















~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My Local 'See' (Lake in German)....aka the Greifensee

No motorized boats allowed! Sailing anyone???

National law requires all vehicles to turn off their engines while waiting at a railroad crossing. The electric trains whiz by in about 3 minutes though, but the Swiss don’t want any vehicles idling! I suppose though that turning off your engine is only beneficial for air quality if the trains took a longer time to pass.

The roundabouts are also nice at preventing idling cars.

2 Comments:

At 11:38 PM, Blogger lolo loves bikes said...

I imagine that pedestrian issues on roundabouts are a bigger problem for the larger, multi-lane ones. The roundabouts I've been seeing around Zurich aren't all that large (kind of like a medium-sized US traffic circle) -- and since pedestrians have the right of way -- cars just yield to them as if they are a car in the circle while they are crossing one of the 4 crosswalks.

 
At 11:44 PM, Blogger lolo loves bikes said...

Also, the Zurich intersections are pretty nasty for walking because there are several winding streets coming together with multiple lanes for the tram and cars. However, pedestrian flow still seems to work. I walked down to the Lake of Zurich today and was mazed through 5 different, very short, crosswalk signals (that turned green at the same time).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home